Sunday, July 12, 2009

Cheri





I was lucky enough to see the new movie Cheri this weekend. Michelle Pfeiffer looks amazing in the film. I really went to see all of the exquisite costumes, so I was pleasantly surprised to get really involved in the plot. Set in 1920s Paris at the very tail end of France's Belle Epoque--the "Beautiful Age"--when the upper classes lavished in leisure and wealth just before the onset of World War One - the film deals with issues of changing gender roles, sexuality, money, aging, and society. The movie is based on the novels by French feminist writer Colette. Every aspect is absolutely beautiful to watch...the architecture...the interiors...and of course, the costumes. The costume designer, Consolata Boyle, also did the movie The Queen with Helen Mirren. I hope this movie gets some attention during awards season.

If you have a moment you should read more about the life of novelist Colette (yeah, like Cher or Madonna).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colette


No comments:

Post a Comment